Re: [OM] Scanning with camera--revisited.

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning with camera--revisited.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 01:45:50 -0800
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but spotted this. Even with APS-c sensor cam scanning can at least equal some well regarded dedicated scanners.

To quote LL "They invested considerable time and effort (and some money) exploring fresh approaches, and as a result have achieved their objective of developing two workflows that produce truly good results with little work."

"Little work" appears to be a vast understatement and the lack of automated work flow a non-starter for many. Still it is interesting. AG had mentioned the camera technique was perhaps equal for slides (IIRC)---they seem to get very good results with standard color negs, but experience tweaking the results is the wild card, and I suspect a tough learning curve as with other forms of scanning.

I searched the PDF for "ICC" and "color profile", neither of which was to be found. To me, that makes the whole color part for later films very suspect.

As to mechanical design, it seems to me that CH's small, elegant set-up with
flash has already shown an excellent way.

I can't see reading the whole thing closely, as they have missed the quick, easy way to do color and contrast right for so many films and I have fully functional film scanners that, in my work flow, appeal to me more than the camera approach. If I wanted to do a lot of slides in a hurry, I'd be looking at CH's setup to build a flash box for my VST-1 (thanks, Bill)

I'm sure a camera scanning approach can yield excellent results.

Scanning ... Moose