[OM] Scanning with camera--revisited.

Subject: [OM] Scanning with camera--revisited.
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 19:44:09 -0500
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but spotted this. Even with APS-c sensor cam scanning can at least equal some well regarded dedicated scanners.

To quote LL "They invested considerable time and effort (and some money) exploring fresh approaches, and as a result have achieved their objective of developing two workflows that produce truly good results with little work."

"Little work" appears to be a vast understatement and the lack of automated work flow a non-starter for many. Still it is interesting. AG had mentioned the camera technique was perhaps equal for slides (IIRC)---they seem to get very good results with standard color negs, but experience tweaking the results is the wild card, and I suspect a tough learning curve as with other forms of scanning.

The flash technique looks cool anyway.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/scannerless_digital_capture_and_processing_of_negative_film_photographs.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/CameraScanning.pdf

Also from I have learned so far the new Epson flatbeds don't seem a whole lot different except the light socurce. Will await a few more reviews.

Still haven't replaced defunct scanner though some Moose scans were top notch, Mike