[OM] EXIF for manual lenses

Subject: [OM] EXIF for manual lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 16:54:06 -0800
Chuck complained that the Oly lens cap lenses don't report data to the camera
for EXIF.

That got me thinking about the general problem of EXIF for non-electronic
lenses.

I'm betting very few here know about the Windoze "Send To" function. In Explorer, right click on a file. In the pop-up control window, one of the options is Send To, which opens a sub-window with a list of stuff in it.

This sub-window shows two kinds of things, other drives, and stuff put in the folder "C:\Users\[All or a username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo"

You may put pretty much anything executable you want to in there, a Shortcut,
.exe file or batch file would be most common.

I've written a little batch file that uses Phil Harvey's exiftool program to put data for the fisheye lencap into image files. It is written so that multiple files may be selected to be processed sequentially.
----------------------------
@echo on
:begin
if _%1_==__ goto end
echo Processing %1...
C:\Users\Moose\AppData\Roaming\GeoSetter\tools\exiftool -FocalLength="9 mm" -LensType="OLYMPUS M.9mm F8 Fisheye Lenscap" -LensModel="OLYMPUS M.9mm F8 Fisheye Lenscap" -Lens="OLYMPUS M.9mm F8 Fisheye Lenscap" -FNumber="8.0" -MaxApertureValue="8.0" %1
shift
goto begin
:end
pause

The multiple instances of the lens model deal with both EXIF and the Oly and
Panny Maker extensions.

As shown here, it renames the original by appending "_original" to the filetype of the original image file and creates a copy including the changes. After one is satisfied that it works, "-overwrite_original" (without the quotes) may be added to the command to overwrite the original by renaming a tmp file.

"pause" as the last line may also be removed, if desired.

It's a pretty slick way to do odd things. I used to use it to process Raw files
from a Canon crack using dcraw.

Programmable Moose