Re: [OM] Simple lens designs like Tessar on Digital cameras.

Subject: Re: [OM] Simple lens designs like Tessar on Digital cameras.
From: Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 02:35:57 -0800

Moose asked whether I had made an error in describing the tessar lens I had
owned as a young teenager, as being F2.9.

So Mike, interesting, you should mention the Meyor-Optic trioplan,because the
50mm,F2.9 I owned, may have been a Meyer optic trioplan lens, rather than the
F2.8 Zeiss Jena Tessar lens also offered for the camera I owned.

I am still not sure,looking at the Altix 5 camera pictured on the web, it has a
silver Zeiss Tessar, which looks exactly like the lens/camera combination I
owned, but I remember F2.9 because it was an odd aperture.

Looking around on web, it seems the trioplans are valued for Digi camera
conversions, as they have very distinctive sharp completely round edge
bokeh,("bubble Bokeh") because of  large number of blade diaphragms and
location of diaphragm etc. Ebay prices are quite high $150-200.

Check this distinctive bokeh from the 100/F2.8 trioplan:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1314247.html
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1015178@N21/pool/page2

I still have a Meyer-Optic 90mm F3.5 lens somewhere, I had bought at the same
time for that old Altix 5 camera.

It is tiny lens which I adapted to OM mount, years later, although I never used
it much on OM.
I should look it out and see what the bokeh is like. It is a 4 element design
though and has a large number of aperture blades.
This website shows they go for about $250 on ebay. Not sure what mine would go
for having been modified to an OM Mount.

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1951.html

Talk about simple minimalist lens design, the Trioplan has it over the Tessar,
but I am sure the Tessar is a lot sharper.

Tim