Re: [OM] IMG: Be nice

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Be nice
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:02:38 -0500
We have actually followed the recycle process here in York County from the
green centers to the sorting facilities to the landfills.  It was a project
a few years ago for the home-schooled kids in the county.  We were very
impressed with how much is actually recycled.  Some of us had been
skeptical that the recycle items we so carefully segregated would be tossed
into the general garbage landfill, but that was not true.  Every single
item that was sent through the recycle system was carefully sorted,
plastics according to number, and all trucked away to be reused and
recycled.  There was a small amount that ended up in the landfill but it
was almost always stuff that should not have been put in the recycle bins.
I still believe that it is working here and have not seen anything to
discredit that belief.

Tina

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> They have made recycling so easy that it's much better than throwing stuff
>> in the garbage!
>>
> First we didn't have the option to recycle anything but oil and batteries
> and beer cans. Then we began to recycle everything but you must sort it all
> yourself. Now we 'co-mingle', whatever that means. Well, it turns out a lot
> of it is re-mingled and shipped off to the landfill on an Indian
> reservation somewhere out in the desert. We've come full circle but at
> least we can feel good about it. Out of sight, out of mind.
>
> Mike
> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com