Re: [OM] IMG: Be nice

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Be nice
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 08:27:38 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Paul:  Nope, it's against the law there.  The fellow who runs the dump
>told us the story. He was repeatedly sworn at and threatened by some
>people with too much alcohol in their bloodstream. They were angry that
>he wouldn't separate their recyclable bottles and cans from their trash
>for them, which they decided was his job (it isn't).
>
>It caused a police incident, and in response, the town passed the law
>that is referenced on the sign.  Those Canadians take their politeness
>seriously!  :-)

     And that's a good thing.  I've encountered a few irritable customers in
the bike collective(s) here, and I got into the face of the last one who wanted
to fight with me about cleaning a wheel bearing.  They get free help and parts
and they still want to fight with you.  Those types are generally homeless, and
it's easy to see why.

     Most people don't realise that their weight plus the bike is supported by
four to eight ball bearings at any given time, which amounts to a bunch of
thousand pounds per square inch, far more than stilleto heels.  It's every
reason to set aside the caged/retianered bearings, clean the bearing cups and
cones thoroughly, and replace them with loose ball bearings as they are
stronger, plus you cannot make the mistake of putting them in upside-down.  On
mine, I will only use a retainered bearing at the top of the head tube as that
one is not supporting any real weight.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson