Re: [OM] IBIS on the A7II and ? OMA9--works with OS in the lens too--imp

Subject: Re: [OM] IBIS on the A7II and ? OMA9--works with OS in the lens too--implications for OMZ lenses
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:15:49 -0500
I perhaps should have qualified the IBIS blanket statement a bit. The latest incarnation of the Oly IBIS seemed to be king of the hill at least under many circumstances especially very slow shutter speeds. It is difficult to find carefully conducted comparisons with the latest Panny in lens OIS. Things do change rapidly though as it is clear form precious link I listed that the GX-7 IS can out perform the OM- D version under many circumstances. The major point was though that Sony seems to have found a way to leverage the best of in lens IS and IBIS. I have read that in lens systems might have trouble with "roll" compensation but have not seen an explanation or confirmation. I did not think that the new A9 had much chance of having IBIS given all the effort put into the in lens OIS but this new information and the
appearance of the hybrid IS in the A711 has changed all that.

Mike

This is a first as far as I can tell. If the lens has IS it will
take care of
the pitch aand yaw while the body will
stabilize the roll/x/y
displacment. With Oly in MFT one can use the lens OSS or the IBIS
but not
both  effectively--IBIS  is better than
almost every lens  IS except in a very few exceptions.

Source? Panny has been consistent in saying that their latest lens IS is at
least slightly superior to IBIS. How would
one even know if one or the other is generically better, as there are not only
various manufacturers, but various ages
of design.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/sonyfeatures.png

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1466/1462/original.jpg

Ah hah--just as on Oly MFT, no? This is great for alts as can dial
in the
proper FL.  Perhaps one may have to lie to
it on the FL if higher mag macro?

Funny story. at least I'm laughing at myself now, after quickly switching to the
GX7 for the shot and getting it. I
tossed the Oly 9/8.0 lens cap fisheye on the E-M5 to take a shot at the top of
the rainforest globe at the Calif.
Academy of Science - and the LCD images started jumping all over the place.
Thought it through later, checked, and the
IS MF FL setting* was for 600 mm!

Also have read that the IBIS may NOT be Oly clone but a home brewed
version.

Could be Oly license, but Sony made. The Oly system couldn't be just attached to
a much larger sensor. It would have to
be remade, scaled up. I can't see much point in reinventing something
demonstrated to work.

This new type of hybrid stablization using both suggests (to me at
aleast) the
A9 will have it and could be
the cat's meow for OMZ lenses and other alts. I have no doubt the
A7II will
have the same sensor flare
as the A7.

:-) /:-(   Like the smile and frown of comedy and tragedy?

If they fix some of the ergonomic issue on the OM A9 may need to
have a mop
ready for AG drool.
(as well as mine). It could essentially be the FF digital OM with
IBIS  with
a great EVF Oly should/could have made.

Good luck!

Partially Framed Moose

How often do I get to use a trio of acronyms in a row?