[OM] 28-200mm Lenses

Subject: [OM] 28-200mm Lenses
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:41:55 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Not too long ago, I had an opportunity to purchase a Sears/Kiron 28-200mm
lens on evilBay.  I won it, but the deal fell through when the seller was
unable to find it.  Bummer.

     So, I set up an evilBay WANT looking for any brand of 28-200mm lenses.
Most did not appeal to me as the focus control was 90 degrees or less.  Some
had the macro coupled into the focusing.  Then came along a Samyang version
with a Conica/Yashica mount, NIB, for slightly more than what the earlier Sears
version would have cost me.

     Samyang is not exactly a recognised brand, but a couple of years ago I
bought one of their 100-500 zoom lenses with the learther case at a thrift
store.  I was amazed at the optical performance.  I have a sort of performance
test consisting of a utility transformer on a pole about 1/8 mile away.  With
the Samyang 100-500mm and a Sigma 2X teleconverter I was able to clealy read
the lettering on that transformer, which was better than any other lens that I
have.

     When I came across this 28-200mm Samyang lens, I figured that it would
have comparable performance, so I bought it.  The Cosina/Yashica adapter
arrived yesterday, and I took it around the house for a short spin this
morning.  I was not disappointed.  The macro control was a bit stiff, but then
this is a NIB lens.  The optical performance was comparable to that of the
100-500mm lens, focusing being sharp at all FL and macro settings.

     When the temperature warms up I'll take it out for a full trial.  It was
38F this morning, and I'm not enthusiastic about doing demanding detailed work
while shivering.

     Speaking of which, there may be 8-9 feet of snow on the ground around
Buffalo before this Arctic storm is over.  And there will be another one early
next week.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson