Re: [OM] IMGS: B&W Challenge Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: B&W Challenge Photos
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 11:51:47 -0600
> Also, LED lighting that sucked swamp water for photography. I have a bunch
> from that show that I had no choice but to make B&W.  LED lighting is
> cooler and takes much less power, but when you hit the stage with red, you
> get RED and nothing else. At least with gelled incandescents, you have some
> other spectrum in there that you can tweak. The only way I could make them
> useable was to go completely colorless.

Specifically, what we are talking about here is LED stage lighting and
not LED lights designed for photography, which are wide-band. LED
stage lights are narrow band.

However, what I have discovered is that film handles LED stage
lighting MUCH better than digital. You don't get the harsh clipping
with film that we do with the digital cameras. You need to back off a
digital exposure by at least one, if not two stops.

AG