Re: [OM] Blood moon

Subject: Re: [OM] Blood moon
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 07:47:04 -0500
OK, I looked. You may well be correct that there is sufficient change of focus due to day/night temperature changes to warrant refocusing at night. However, I don't think one can positively draw that conclusion from the two Tamrons you pointed to in the Rockwell link.

I downloaded the owner's instruction sheets for both lenses and both have the following comments regarding the focusing distance scale:

"The distance scale is marked for guidance purposes. The actual focal point may slightly differ from the distance marked on the focal length index."

"At infinity make sure the image in the viewfinder appears sharp. The infinity position is made with certain allowances to insure proper focus under a variety of conditions."

While that may well refer to temperature change effects there is only one marked infinity position and the fact that it may be slightly inaccurate is no different than the statement for other marked distances. There is certainly no indication of how to deal with temperature or focus beyond infinity.

Chuck Norcutt