Re: [OM] Blood moon

Subject: Re: [OM] Blood moon
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 19:36:17 -0500
Hyperfocal methods shouldn't enter the equation at all. Trying to use hyperfocal methods and failing will almost certainly put infinity out of focus. Hyperfocal is for including much of the nearby foreground along with focus all the way to infinity. Since it's only the moon you're interested in forget the foreground and concentrate on getting infinity correct.

Setting up for daylight infinity focus and marking the focus point should work but if you're using a very long lens and small aperture you need to be focusing on a target about 3 km away. Haze could be a problem. If you put a piece of tape between the focusing ring and lens barrel to mark infinity you could slice through the tape (carefully) and leave it there. Then just align the two pieces of tape when you need infinity focus.

AFAIK, there should be no way for manual exposure methods on your camera to change ISO as well. If ISO is changing then you're doing something else that you're unaware of.