Re: [OM] IMG: From the Archives

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From the Archives
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:22:09 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>On a rainy day, I turned to my archives.  This image was made in color
>during a vacation trip in 1971, while my 10-yr old son was manning a
>gunnery station on the battleship USS North Carolina. Gear is unrecorded.
>
>http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Gunnery+Station+in+BW-1.jpg.html

     Someone someplace has a similar photo with that I played a part in.  I was
at an IEEE conference in Baltimore many years ago and took some time to visit
the B&O museum nearby.  I wandered out into the back lot where the large
locomotives were stored.  I came across their Allegheny class 2-6-6-6, which at
7,500 HP was the most powerful single-expansion steam locomotive ever built:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-6-6-6

http://remarkablevehicles.com/index.php?title=1941_Allegheny_Locomotive

http://steam.wesbarris.com/allegheny/

     I was sitting at the engineer's seat, getting familiar with all of the
controls when this young fellow approached the cab and asked "Mister, what
makes it go?"  I got him on the enginner's seat, and as he had his hand on the
throttle (roof-mounted, almost beyond his reach) his mother snapped a photo of
him.

     I like to think that that experience inspired him to be a mechanical
engineer.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson