Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 12/10/2014: macro stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 12/10/2014: macro stuff
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 16:59:54 -0700
On 10/12/2014 2:08 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Today, I took my sister and brother-in-law to Bodegas Francisco Gomez, a big,
modern wine producer which is a great place to visit with guests from abroad.
Since I know the place well, having visited several times, I indulged in some
detail/macro photography with my little Ricoh GR.

The bottles in storage:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3607284107&k=Wp63RhF&lb=1&s=O

I like this one quite a lot. It strikes me that the Bodega might, too. It would be perfect in promotional materials, on a web site, etc. The name on the cork up front is perfect.

The corks are generally overexposed, red channel blocked up, but there's detail to pull down. I messed with the front bottle to recover detail, then applied ShadowHighlight highlight reduction to the rest. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/Bottles.htm>

The bokeh of most modern lenses at many subject-background distances leaves a lot to be desired, to my eye. This is by no means the worst, with large, hard edged discs for specular highlights; at least the centers aren't dark. Still, I keep trying to find a way to correct such highlight disks to something like a normal airy disk. Here, the noise (which I'm not objecting to.) makes individual location corrections impossible,as they change the noise locally.

I like what it did to the highlights, but have to pretend that a faster lens
with less DOF was used. :-)

Bokeh, Smokeh Moose