Re: [OM] Welcome back

Subject: Re: [OM] Welcome back
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 18:55:16 -0400
Correct on both fronts. EVF with focus stacking and upping the gain is just the ticket. Getting there slowly.
Doin it the hard way, Mike

CN writes:
You need to get rid of that 5DII and get a mirrorless camera that,
like
the E-M5, will adjust the viewfinder brightness to mimic the
brightness
of the exposure you are about to make. f/11 won't be so scary
then...
especially because even though you can still see at f/11 you'll
choose
f/8 instead.  :-)

Finally a couple Monarchs came a visiting to our Buddlea last weekend
undoubtedly fueling up for the long
flight to Mexico. I used to take these shots for granted but very few
around the past 2 years.

I took a bunch of film shots first which were ironically easier in
many
  respects (could focus wide open with a huge VF) but will be flash
predominate as
they were in deep shadow and it was very late in the afternoon with
slow
film.

Here is one after on the 5DII after I ran out of film:

http://www.olyendomike.com/Macro/Macro-2014/35815144_mTn4JH#!i=3587337489&k=TZ88xcD&lb=1&s=L

Then when the second moved to a larger flower with the late PM sun on
the background I tried a different tack--moved up the ISO a bit to
brighten the background, kept the shutter speed
as slow as I dared and  aperture adjusted to keep dof optimal and fine
tuned the exposure by chimping the ISO. I was worried the flash fill
would be way overpowering at the higher
ISO (T32 in normal auto) but the thyristor was fooled by the bright
background so actually had to turn it up a couple stops.  (some lost
with extension too)   Wanted to avoid a "flash look" if possible and
balance the lighting.
I have not had much success with any images pushing shadows in post
with
butterflies.  Focusing at F11 is not a piece of cake.

http://www.olyendomike.com/Macro/Macro-2014/35815144_mTn4JH#!i=3587337651&k=44cG4P6&lb=1&s=L

I have to go for a couple hours tomorrow for the October B'fly derby,
but it is the tale end of the tale end. The second flight of the
Bronze
Copper around here is bimodal and it can be quite late
so there may be another chance at that showy critter.

Mike