Re: [OM] IMG: Our "Room"

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Our "Room"
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 11:16:57 -0400
Yes, I've slept in one bed with six kids and their parents in Honduras,
with the bathroom being the cornfield.  But I wasn't expecting or paying
for a private room!  Midnight bathroom trips in Lao Chai meant stepping
over all of the sleeping bodies in an attic where you can't stand up
straight, creeping down the ladder barefoot, finding rubber sandals that
fit, and roaming outside in the pitch dark.  I would not do it again.

Tina

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 1:25 AM, ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It would have been the bathroom that would have got me, Tina.
>
> I suspect that the locals thought nothing of the difference between a
> communal sleeping area and the more private rooms.
>
> Chris
>
> On 1 Oct 14, at 00:25, Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > This is one part of the trip that I would NOT repeat.  Our homestay in
> Sapa
> > consisted of a thin foam mat on the floor of an open loft, along with 8
> > other mats. all occupied.  Access was by a steep ladder, no shoes
> allowed.
> > There was one bathroom outside.  I don't mind the lack of bathrooms, but
> > the lack of privacy was not what I expected.  We found out later that
> > others had private rooms in farmhouses for about the same that we paid.
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/157645382
>
> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com