Re: [OM] Topaz Software

Subject: Re: [OM] Topaz Software
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 11:10:36 +1200

Tina wrote

Thanks, Chris. I had a discount coupon so I decided to
get the whole thing
which was only $20 more than one individual plug-in.
If I take the time to
learn to use it, it looks like some of them can be
tamed to give realistic
results, based on some of the reviews I read. I
agree that some
illustrations of the effects on the web are way over the
top!

Tina
/////////////////////
Tina, after I posted this image
on-line
Chris B
suggested that the special effects might have been created using Topaz
software.
I need to point out that the dark margin around the lower half
of the print is not so dark in reality. HOWEVER, it was the special
effects which caught the eye of my partner, and as a result she shelled
out something like $90 for the matted print. Sale made.
Possibly most of
you did not listen/watch the video link to the Bryce Gallery which I
posted a couple of days ago. The very astute lady who owns/runs the
gallery said that people BOUGHT through an attraction in the heart - or
some such statement. In any event, these days in particular, it seems
important to have at least SOME of ones' portfolio containing images
which have been enhanced in some way.
I had never heard of Topaz until
Chris B mentioned it. They had a special offer a couple of weeks ago
whereby all of their programs could be downloaded and tried for a 30
days. I have downloaded the lot, but I've got so much on right now that
I have not tried any of them.
I also have friends who look at photo
prints with "maybe buy"in their mind. They are attracted to
significantly modified prints rather than straight prints.
I have now,
15 of my prints on display in the local booksellers'shop. Most are there
new as part of the Spring Festival which runs large here.
At the back of
the shop I have two 'large' framed and glazed prints priced at $400
each.
This one, which was modified using software I lost in my last
computer crash, is the only one which is the subject of repeated visits
by an interested
person.

The unaltered
version is somewhat like
this.
The other
framed/glazed shot which is one of my favourite images has not had any
substantial
interest.
the whole
thing re-photographed lying on the
carpet

My conclusion
is that if your photos are to illustrate a book, probably do not stray
far from the virtual.
But for sales of prints to hang on the walls of a
home, try some enhancing.

Brian