[OM] [OT] it never rains but it pours

Subject: [OM] [OT] it never rains but it pours
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 15:55:39 +0100
   Piers wrote:
<Did you know that your old NHS number is taken from your birth certificate?
A bit of a contrast with USA where the SS# seemes to be ultra secret!

4 letters and 3 digits is memorable (ask me) but whoever thought that 10
digits would be better has no grasp of human factors.>

I am doubtful about that derivation of the original UK NHS numbers, at least in
my case.  My original number was my wartime (WW2) identity card number in which,
 as the youngest member of  a family of four, my 8 digit identifier of the form
(****/***/*) ended with a '4' while my parents were '/1' and '/2' while my siste
r was '/3'.  Over the succeeding years that number 'evolved' as a result of a ma
nual transcription error which changed an 'H' to an 'M'.  (Of more potential con
sequence was another transcription error that added 10 years to my age in the me
dical records of my doctor!)

On a more general point, and more relevant to the original concerns, I think acc
ess to UK NHS dental services for residents is somewhat variable across the coun
try with major problems in some of the bigger cities.   Some dentists like my ow
n provide services on both the NHS and privately with more treatment options bei
ng available on the latter and one can make one's own choice as to whether the e
xtra cost of a suggested 'private' treatment is worthwhile.

Brian Gray