Re: [OM] OT: 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 21:27:22 -0500
> As we have a fairly large segment of audiophiles on the list: the linked
> article discusses digital audio encoding. I found it quite interesting.

I don't disagree with his facts. But I'm not so hip on the narrative.

When I'm doing a turn-and-burn, I'll record as close to the final
output as possible to avoid resampling. But when I have the
opportunity to do things "right", I'm pretty satisfied with 24/48.
While I can go to 24/96, I see not enough value to it unless I'm doing
an orchestral recording.

Ultra-high sample rates are NOT about frequency response, but about
the shape of waveforms in the 15-20kHz range. It's also about accurate
waveform placement of the transients. Fortunately, we get other
sub-harmonic artifacts which the human hearing has now been educated
into understanding the primary waveform's shape as being something
other than a sine wave. The waveform placement of transients has also
been largely addressed through extensive oversampling during the A-D
process.

I totally disagree with his assessment on BRR (Bit Rate Reduction).
While he is dead right on lossless compression, he has over-simplified
his comments on lossy compression and their improvements.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx