Re: [OM] How to Avoid Parking Tickets in Lancaster, PA

Subject: Re: [OM] How to Avoid Parking Tickets in Lancaster, PA
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 08:53:36 -0400 (EDT)
The spurs should just be used to reinforce the leg aid and used judiciously with a quiet/accurate leg. Suspect he required them for a quiet horse to insure he would respond properly if necessary. I have spoken to a couple cops who were on mounted patrols. They clearly need fairly quiet horses that would not over react to traffic etc. The spurs in the image are quite good sized. I used to wear short nubbins for my warm blood, Fractal. Ironically the "pizza cutter" style spurs are fairly mild. Wearing spurs riding the thoroughbreds we owned would be have counterproductive and they would have taken offense for unnecessary strong aid. Chelsea would have said, "Oh, that must mean engage the FTL drive" and I would have been in the next county before I could pull her up. One just had to think forward and she would respond nicely.

Mike

That's a nice shot.  But I wonder why he has spurs.  Do all riders wear spurs over there, or are they merely to look cool?

Chris