Re: [OM] Bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] Bokeh
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:23:36 -0400
While you call the 35/2.0 the king of bokeh the third image of Tom drinking coffee certainly doesn't illustrate it. It's a great picture of Tom but the tree in the background illustrates what I would call very busy bokeh. <http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/157064826> The highlights (those that aren't blown) image as distinct balls while some branches image like squiggly worms. Most of the background visual elements are visible as distinct objects.

Good bokeh is very smooth and nearly featureless like the image that Mike sent <http://tinyurl.com/o6ho3ze> that makes it difficult to find an edge anywhere in the background. But bokeh is a nebulous thing. If the 35/2.0 is considered the bokeh king I would suspect that it probably is so when wide open or nearly so and with a background much closer than the tree behind Tom. Many lenses exhibit exemplary bokeh at a particular distance range from subject to background but not others. Generally, lenses with many aperture blades which tend to form a circular aperture will show good bokeh. But that's not always true. Some lens designs using aspherical elements just don't seem to be able to make good bokeh ever.

If it was your intent to display good bokeh I think you also need 2 other images to go along with the good bokeh image. You need one showing greater depth of field to be able to differentiate the effect of depth of field and also one with shallow depth of field but with bad bokeh. You already have one with mediocre bokeh here.

Chuck Norcutt

I like your shots and the bokeh is good.  Might be very easy to get
concept across with a  simple  smooth example.  The Tokina variant of
this lens is known as the "Bokina" though this is the Vivitar S1 version
with the same optics.

http://tinyurl.com/o6ho3ze

Almost No Monarchs again this year, Mike

PESO:

I took 3 photos this morning to try to illustrate what bokeh is, in answer
to a question from a beginning photographer.  I used the 35/2.0 (king of
bokeh) Summicron.

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/157064814

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/157064816

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/157064826

Hit Original to view them larger.

What do you think?  Do these illustrate bokeh?  What else would you suggest
to help her understand bokeh?

TIA

Tina