Re: [OM] Now THIS is news!

Subject: Re: [OM] Now THIS is news!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 13:18:46 -0700
On 8/16/2014 5:54 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
I was not sure if my new Ricoh GRD had flash or not.

I wasn't aware of the GR*. I don't think I would ever again be happy with a single focal length, fixed lens camera - but I couldn't resist comparing its dimensions to the Panny GM1 I use.

With Panny 14/2.5 lens, same FOV, an teensy bit faster:

                    W      H       D    Dex    Wgt    MaxA
GR               117    61     35     48     245      2.8
GM1-14 mm    99    55     50     50     259      2.5
GM1-20 mm    99    55     55     56     304      1.7
GM1-12-32     99    55     54     77     274      4.0  (@14 mm)

The DR is significantly taller and wider than the GM1. With lens collapsed, it is much shallower than the GM1/14/2.5. With lens extended for use, the two are essentially the same depth. The Ricoh is very slightly lighter than the Panny combination.

With the lenses I have:

The GM1 is a little deeper yet, slightly heavier and 1 1/3 stops faster with 20/1.7. I opted for the extra length and weight for the greater speed.

The 12-32 is diminutive and light for a zoom, but, of course, makes the GM1 lots deeper, a little heavier and a stop slower than the GR at 14 mm.

Other than for shallow DOF, the Panny's IS lenses probably make it the better low light camera even with the zoom for static subjects.

The GR has a bigger, APS-C sensor, but I have, for this cycle of my life at least, convinced myself that µ4/3 is more than sufficient for my needs.

OK, I've now convinced myself the GM1 is the better overall choice - for me. So
I can happily go on using it. :-)

For someone who likes close-up and tele, the 45-150 and ability to use
extension tubes are a help, too.

The other night, in a restaurant, I figured out how to activate it and took my
first flash picture of 2014. One look at the screen confirmed my belief in the
evils of flash, and I promptly deleted the image.

Cheers,
Available light Nathan

Available light Nathan, meet,
    Dr. No Flash

* Calling it a GRD is misleading. At least it sent me in the wrong direction. Ricoh had a series of GR-D cameras with a much smaller sensor. They simply call this a GR.