Re: [OM] Fwd: Slightly OT: Manufacturing in Amerca

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: Slightly OT: Manufacturing in Amerca
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 22:58:01 +0930
Does the US government subsidise manufacturers? Do they impose heavy
import tariffs to protect local manufacturing?

Are these just assembly plants, relying wholly on imported components?

Down Under, up until fairly recently the government subsidised the car
industry (for some reason Ford couldn't seem to keep it running even
then), and when the current 'conservative' government pulled the plug on
funding for General Motors-Holden, they are closing up shop also -
taking down the many small businesses that supply them.

Local appliance manufacturers like Simpson and Email (belongs to
Electrolux) have been consolidating, and then closing local plants and
importing many of their product lines.

The way I understand it (I'm not an economist so grab the salt ;) ),
relatively low tariff protections still apply to cars here. Under the
(mostly one-way) "Free Trade Agreements" the protections have been
ramped down over the last 20-ish years, and will soon be gone.

davidt