Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Insecurity

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Insecurity
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 20:40:54 +0000 (UTC)
I would use the back door............quietly.     <g>

----- Original Message -----From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>To:
Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Olympus Camera
Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 20:09:35 -0000
(UTC)Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Insecurity

>>> I can't help but think that telemarketers are somehow able to listen >>to
>>> what is going on inside your house by way of the telephone, calling you
>>> hard-wired telephone set in addition to the wireless >>ones. If what I
>>> suspect is true, can I circumvent this by disconnecting >>that
>>> phone?>>>Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to
>>> get you.>>Telemarketers have been able to profile household movement
>>> patterns>very well. It only takes a half-dozen calls to establish very
>>> accurate>occupancy patterns for a large percentage of households.
>>> Another>factor is your cellphone. If you have a smart phone, your
>>> movements>are being tracked and reported to the government and everybody
>>> willing>to spend a few dollars with Google, Apple or Facebook.>

Well, I don't have a smart phone, and my movements in and out of the house are
not very regular. This happens too often to just be a coincidence. And I don't
have any sort of cable connection. I took the Cox cable off the house years ago
and wrapped it around the utility pole in the alley.

I'll experiment a bit. I'll try entering the house quietly, wait a few minutes,
then make a loud noise. If that works, I'll try disconnecting the handset from
the wired phone.

Chris

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Hunter S. Thompson--