Re: [OM] Peter Eastway and Phase One

Subject: Re: [OM] Peter Eastway and Phase One
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 21:42:25 +0100
I don't wholly agree with Chuck that Eastway's work is overcooked HDR stuff
(in fact, he himself says: " I am not a big fan of HDR (High Dynamic Range)
photographs, but I gave an HDR photograph first place in a competition not
so long ago. Personally, subjectively, I didn't like the photograph much,
but as an example of its kind, it was superlative.") I confess that I didn't
much look at the portfolios, paid more attention to the written material. As
a result, I do agree with you, Brian, that there are things to take on
board, because some of his examples seem to echo the comments you have
received here regarding your own images :-)
How about this one:
http://www.betterphotography.com/index.php/peter-eastways-blogs-sp-19033/pet
er-eastways-blog/773-svartifoss-iceland-just-another-waterfall
I think it is indeed overcooked, but I think (hope!) you might recognise in
the original raw overexposure of highlights which has been recovered in
processing.

But I did take a quick look at his Scotland portfolio (well where else do
you think I would look?) and was a little surprised to be able to recognise
one scene from the thumbnail! Again, overcooked, but well framed, even if it
is a well-trodden route for photographers. My own take on the scene is from
a different angle - largely to avoid getting other photographers who
"chance" to be there in the frame:

There is a lot less headroom in E-1 files compared to later models - but
it's surprising how much more there was to be had using the latest LR
processing model. Thankfully!

Piers