Re: [OM] The virtues of RAW

Subject: Re: [OM] The virtues of RAW
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 09:36:31 -0500
> Alternatively, on the hand of a good photographer, JPEG is fine French
> food. It require no or little seasoning but not everyone like it.
>
> RAW is uncooked meat, it can be great or terrible, depends on how you
> process it, just suit your taste.

The RAW vs. JPEG is as old as digital photography. No chance that
we're going to solve it here. However, I've noticed a few things over
the past dozen years.

1. The image processing and JPEG files from an Olympus E-1 are
exceptional AND hard to match or beat with an aftermarket raw
converter. This is also true with several other cameras. People who
shoot with these cameras with outstanding internal converters tend to
be happy shooting JPEG.

2. The image processing and JPEG files from many Canon DSLRs aren't
all that good. Only exceeded in poor quality by the first 10 years of
Nikon DLSRs. People who shoot with these cameras with not so
outstanding internal converters tend to be happier shooting RAW.

3. If the internally produced JPEG file is good enough, what reason is
there to burden oneself with the hassles of RAW? The latest round of
cameras have really, really good conversion engines built in. We're
not dealing with Canon 20D JPEGs anymore.

4. If all you are doing is a straight conversion without performing
heroics to "save the image", generally speaking, there will be little
gain between shooting RAW and JPEG.

5.If you have the ability to "get it right" in-camera with proper
white-balance, exposure and contrast and the output file quality
(sharpness, resolution, etc.) is satisfactory, then adding the RAW
workflow is a time waster.

6. "Highlight Recovery" is a red herring. It is something needed in
only a tiny fraction of images. Frankly, if that is a person's #1
concern, then I think that that person needs to learn what really is
important in a photograph. No amount of highlight recovery is going to
save an image that otherwise is a tosser.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx