Re: [OM] The virtues of RAW (was: Divertimento)

Subject: Re: [OM] The virtues of RAW (was: Divertimento)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 11:03:03 -0500
> I think the raw preachers have already got most of us sitting in the choir,
> while a few others stand outside with their fingers in their ears singing
> la-la-la.  Conversion just doesn't seem likely.

I shoot a lot of JPEG only when it comes to my pay jobs. RAW for the
personal stuff.

Say what?

Yes, JPEG for the income-earning jobs. These days, it's all about
turnaround time and on-line usage. I do believe that 100% of
everything I've shot this year has been uploaded directly from the
camera to the phone and sent directly to the customer from there.
DURING the events.

Part of the reason that I'm not opposed to shooting JPEG is that I'm a
pretty good photographer and have confidence that I can actually
deliver the goods without having to save my bum with computer heroics.
And frankly, the reason I'm shooting the pictures is to deliver a set
quality of images to the client and the client is happy with in-camera
JPEG, so I shoot JPEG. The client is more concerned with having the
images NOW anyway. Remember that the point of comparison is an iPhone
image. As long as my JPEGs are as good or better than an iPhone,
they're tickled pink.

Personal stuff is RAW because I do non-standard things and I consider
the post-production to be a critical part of the process of making
art.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx