Re: [OM] Back again - XT1 is almost perfect

Subject: Re: [OM] Back again - XT1 is almost perfect
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:28:17 -0400
The moon shot can be significantly improved by sharpening.

Chuck Norcutt

On 7/30/2014 4:16 AM, SwissPace wrote:
Back from the UK and about to collect our new vehicle tomorrow. We drive
to the UK so no taking photos in the airport to prove it works (though
they didn't like people taking photos in the security area and now they
are encouraging it, I wish they would make their minds up :-) ).

Just before the holiday I mention buying some new kit namely the XT1 and
the 55-200, on a last minute impulse I also scored the 56/1.2. The XT1
is truly OM like in size and operation, but I needed to buy a grip. It
is pretty much perfect, the only reason I have to dive into the menu now
is for macro mode, shutter delay (which cleverly resets itself after a
while - some times its nice for the camera to change settings between
use) and card formatting, otherwise all controls are easy to hand, even
better than the X-Pro1.

I am not fully sure that the sensor quality matches or betters the
X-Pro1 but that may be due to LR - its good enough though but when I
have more time then maybe I try some other raw convertors.

The biggest plus is that finally I can get rid on my canon 5D2 and
associated kit, I can use the OM lenses on the XT1 just as well with the
fantastic EVF (although its still not as good as a real DLSR in terms of
colour),. a couple of years ago I bought a pristine OM 500/8 from John
Hermanson but I never really got satisfactory results, this has now
changed with the XT1.

Windfarm normal view (83mm in 35mm)
<http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/Holidays/LlandudnoJuly2014/i-rNPVxdK/A>
Windfarm with 500/8
<http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/Holidays/LlandudnoJuly2014/i-sz6H27b/A>

moon shot with OM 500/8
<http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/Holidays/LlandudnoJuly2014/i-QJGz9Tb/A>

I used the 55-200 much more than expected as it became my macro lens as
well as telephoto and am generally pleased with the results, the 56/1.2
surprisingly was little used but its really for portraits and I don't do
much of those although I attended a pals wedding on return though and it
was used a lot then.

Luc with 56/1.2
<http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/Holidays/LlandudnoJuly2014/i-t2NGd3F/A>
scoobydoo cast  56/1.2
<http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/Holidays/LlandudnoJuly2014/i-XpdR69q/A>

I seem to always be short of time so the photos get loaded into LR
quickly perused and rated with a start or two, very rarely are they
amended and then sometimes uploaded to smugmug, which is my way of
saying if you look at the rest of the gallery it may not be as polished
as it should :-)

Best Wishes
Ian W