Re: [OM] (OM) OT Image processing

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Image processing
From: Daniel Sepke <dansepke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:55:56 -0400
Brian,

What you will be doing is effectively a very simple digital composite job. My
instructions do not name specific tools or commands as I do not know what
program you are using. I am also assuming that you have a program that can work
with multiple "objects" in a master document before outputting a JPG or TIFF
that bakes in the composite.

You'll need to create a new "blank" document in your preferred photo editor
with the suitable pixel size for your final intentions. To calculate that size
I'd look at the pixel dimensions of your two source images and then double
pixel height of the smallest one. This will also be linked to the printing PPI
value you are aiming for. For that you will want a minimum of 300 PPI so the
absolute minimum for your example is 3600x5400 (12*300 x 18*300). In my
experience I usually leave the final scaling to the lab if my originals are
over this minimum value.

Once you have your blank document you will then want to open the two cropped
source images in the program. With all three documents open you will then need
to select each source image and copy it into the new blank document. Without
knowing the programs you are using I cannot describe the exact tools you will
use to accomplish this step. However once you have the first one into the new
document you will need to align it to the edges as appropriate. Then repeat the
copy and paste operation and align the second source image to the other half of
your canvas.

You'll likely want to retain the native file for your editor in addition to the
JPG or TIFF you will send to your lab. By retaining that native file you will
likely be able to go back in a tweak the placements should need to.

Be warned that you may end up with a slight reduction from the intended 6x18
size due to how the larger 12x18 image will be applied to the paper at the lab.

Getting an experimental print done before you order in bulk is an absolute must
here to avoid disappointment.

Dan