Re: [OM] worst of a bad bunch

Subject: Re: [OM] worst of a bad bunch
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:53:10 -0400
Well, our English cousins across the pond still use the mile. And gauge their
speeds in miles per hour.

Here in the US, the military was early on the metric system, even back in my
day, which was closer to Continental Army days than to today’s army. Our M-14
rifles fired 7.62 mm NATO standard rounds. Now, I believe the M-16 fires a
5.something mm round. Distances were measured in meters and kilometers, also
known as “klicks”. I suspect we went metric way back then because of NATO.

I still tend to think in meters, but long since have given up klicks, except
when I’m in the unoccupied part of Canada. My rule of thumb for figuring
distances up there is divide klicks in half and add some back. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal