Re: [OM] IMG: Aymara Shepherd/Condor Dance

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Aymara Shepherd/Condor Dance
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:51:50 +0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I find that for color negatives, NikonScan does a whole lot better
(most of the time) than VueScan. But for B&W negatives, it's a tough
call. Both scan so differently from each other, and what works well
for one film type is a disaster for the other film type.

I found NikonScan give excellent color reproduction for well processed negatives, the color came out just like the prints from at a good lab, require much less attention then Vuescan. Unfortunately, most of the Fuji one hour labs here were having big problem in film processing, film fade much faster than the Kodak labs. Those faded negatives require Vuescan's setting flexibility for easier post processing.

The Nikon Scanner flare problem is certainly starting to rise up
again. It's time to do another cleaning. That'll cost me an afternoon,
but it's worth the effort. Focusing is certainly another issue,
especially with slides that have been projected. Projected slides have
a lot of curvature to them caused by heating up. (I've run into this
problem with some enlarged negatives). You can get the middle in
focus, but the edges are gone.

Nikon's flare problem does not solve with cleaning, I have clean the lens front and removed the 45 deg. mirror for a complete cleaning, problem still exist. Actually, many years ago, I have sent the scanning to Nikon for cleaning but got zero improvement. For negatives, it is ok but not high contrast slides where the white meet dark.

NikonScan still gets frame alignment (strips of negatives) better than
VueScan, but the multipass aspect of Vuescan really helps with grain
aliasing. NikonScan gives me B&W scans that look sand. VueScan muddles
the grain more. Very similar to the difference between using a
condensor enlarger versus a diffusion enlarger. The tonalities are
different, though.

Talking about grain, I have an important old negative which was underexposed. I found 5D II copy provide much lesser grain and resolution was very good but it took some addition steps for better color match. With the recover of my Nikon 4000ED, now I have more options for scanning:

- normal slides - 4000ED with Nikonscan for color accuracy.
- high contrast slides - 5D II copy with multi-exposures.
- normal negatives - 4000ED with Nikonscan for fast excellent output.
- faded negatives - 4000ED with Vuescan for better post processing.
- seriously unexposed negatives - 5D II copy for lesser grain.

C.H.Ling