Re: [OM] Restored Telescope

Subject: Re: [OM] Restored Telescope
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 06:31:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Saturn is tough work.  The size of the image produced by a 1000mm scope
>is roughly 0.006-0.008" at the focal plane.  The angular diameter of
>Saturn is only about 15-20" of arc.

     I saw it decades ago with a cheap Gilbert 4" reflector with a cardboard
tube and a polished metal mirror.  You could just make out the rings as it was
tilted at an angle that made them easy to see.  I might get to see the broader
rings of Jupiter, according to the 60mm folks, or at least the larger moons.
But you need dry air and no upper atmosphere winds (reduced scintilation) to be
able to do that.

     The sky was clear last night, but the higher altitude moisture and
pollution created a haze that obscured all but the brightest stars.  The up
side is that the relative humidity was less than 10%, the dew point was 33F,
and the morning temperature was down to 80F.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson