Re: [OM] E-Mx and off-center tripod mounts

Subject: Re: [OM] E-Mx and off-center tripod mounts
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 11:17:58 -0400
Which reminds me that Dan Sepke wrote privately to suggest using a macro slide like <http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-way-Macro-Shot-Focusing-Focus-Rail-Slider-for-CANON-NIKON-SONY-Camera-SSY-2352-/350883388876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b2479dcc> As it turns out I have one and the rig is partially set up now waiting for me to adjust it to the no-parallax-point. The cross-slide takes care of the approx 10mm offset of the tripod mount from center. That should take care of landscape format panos.

However, the more interesting format for interior architectural use is vertical. A 24mm lens (or 12 on the E-M5) mangages to reach from floor to ceiling when in vertical format. Then the pano needs only 2-3 images to pan around the room. I hadn't thought of it before, but in vertical format, the position of the tripod socket doesn't matter. If the socket is not on center the only effect is to raise or lower the camera. Both axes of the cross-slide will still be needed as well as some form of 90 degree bracket.

ps: I was surprised to see how inexpensive the macro slide has become. I bought mine (which appears to be identical) maybe 5 years ago for (IIRC) $45. Dan's item shows a price of $24.62.

pps: This simple solution does not accommodate multi-row panos but I have no need for those.

Chuck Norcutt