Re: [OM] Recent Show

Subject: Re: [OM] Recent Show
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 23:32:47 -0400
The photos are beautiful. I'd not present them the way you did, though.
I've been in more exhibits than I can remember over the last 20 years, and
one absolute truism is this: USE GLASS. You would not believe how many
times I've gotten work back from shows with fingerprints all over the
glass. I've even seen food, paint, and other foreign substances on the
glass! No glass = photos ruined. None of mine have ever been hurt by
people's carelessness, because glass cleans easily. Photos do not!

The other issue is the borders are too narrow; narrow borders (generally
mats) like that are seen as amateurish in the art world. The mat's purpose
is to isolate the photo from the frame. If you use glass, the mat also
spaces the glass above the photo to keep the photo from sticking to the
glass.

My matting tutorial explains it better and has an example photo of a
framed picture.
http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/technical/framing.php

--
Chris Crawford