Re: [OM] Battery Charger

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery Charger
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 15:20:31 -0400
   I'm no expert but I think it is forbidden to ship them commercially in
bulk on a passenger aircraft due to the risk of fire. The ones in your
carry-on camera are OK; they wouldn't get a second look. I'm not sure about
back-up battery packs. I have a few but I've never carried one on a plane.

Charlie

PS This was an issue with the new Boeing 787 airplanes as they are the
first commercial passenger plane to use Li ion batteries in their back up
systems. Some of the first planes had issues with the batteries emitting
smoke during flight. Makes people very upset.