Re: [OM] Digital B&W Photography - A Revelation

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital B&W Photography - A Revelation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 17:03:52 -0700
On 6/18/2014 6:21 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
...  I have certain expectations about B&W from decades of film, and what I've
seen so far has been a giant leap backwards.  Using Wratten filters gives even
entry level film photographers a vector for creativity, and it's missing here.  I
like to be able to darken the sky so as to highlight features of clouds and/or the
horizon.  And the deep yellow to red range gives you the opportunity to reduce haze
and increase the depth.

      And then there's the matter of vegetation.  The variety of green filters
available lets you fine tune the degree of emphasis in bringing out fresh
foliage, oftentimes letting you highlight veination.  For now, those parts of
the creativity pallete are gone or at least greatly diminished.

As I think you've started to discover, it's just different tools. And as you get into it, I think you will find more, not less, range of control, along with a possible subtlety fixed color filters didn't offer.

Just to add future possibilities ... I mostly do not use color filtering to darken skies, as one example. I select by color, create a mask for the sky, and adjust it with brightness, contrast, levels, curves, etc. entirely separately from the rest of the image. All done before B&W conversion, of course, when sky colors are east to select.

To me this approach is often better, as for example where I don't want to
darken other blue things in the image.

I'm not suggesting you take up a new method in the middle of learning another one, only that you be aware that in digital, there is are often multiple ways to skin any particular cat. Sometimes, they are more useful than methods based on film analogs.

Multi Tool Moose