[OM] Digital B&W Photography - A Revelation

Subject: [OM] Digital B&W Photography - A Revelation
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 17:33:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I visited the local pro camera shop this afternoon, and the resident B&W
expert was there behind the counter.  Since there were very few customers, I
got to speak with him at length.  I described what I had been doing, what the
results were, and what my expectations were.

     He told me that the nature of digital B&W photography is such that most,
if not all digital cameras have similar problems with B&W, that they will not
process filters (either glass or internal emulations) properly, and that the
results are far from what we experience with B&W film.  That, he said
repeatedly, is the nature of the technology.

     As I described the lack of darkening sky when going through yellow, then
orange, and finally red filters he just nodded.  Seems that the problem is
widely known and that there is little that can be done to overcome it.

     He did recommend a B&W post processing software by the name of "Silver
Affects Pro".  I'm going to look into that tomorrow when I have a WiFi
connection.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson