Re: [OM] Last Day of School

Subject: Re: [OM] Last Day of School
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 20:12:34 +1000
No, there are a lot of flags like that. The worry is that flag waving is often
a symbol of rampant, one-eyed, jingoistic, 'mine's bigger than yours', 'love it
or leave it', shallow nationalism. And before I get beaten up for being
anti-murkin (not particularly - as we say in education, accept the person,
reject the behaviour) I have found this most disturbing on revisits to England
where waving a St George Cross flag has become popular in a way that it never
was in my youth - it would have been regarded as bad taste in fact, and
divisive too.
A flag is a symbol of ohsomany things and freedom may be the least of them.
Sport, on the other hand, is war by other means.
Except in rugby, where the means are very similar.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Author/Publisher:
The SLR Compendium,The TLR Compendium