Re: [OM] OT - Phising phone calls

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Phising phone calls
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:19:54 -0500
On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I'm about 16000 cable feet from the central office and I'm getting ONLY
>> 5.96 mbps.
>>
> I'm about 14k' copper from the nearest fibre getting 3.5mbps ?? Best they
> can do they claim...
>
>  the phone company has to provide to everybody that wants
>> service, no matter how many miles out in the sticks they live.
>>
> land line phone service, not necessarily decent dsl. I knew I should have
> been getting at least 4mbps not 1>>1.5 based on distance to box but 19th
> Centurylink's response was "call your ISP". Nada. Paul, my local small time
> ISP, was getting ignored. I was told up front by 19thCL to subscribe to
> their service if I wanted any kind of service. I finally had to bend over
> and drop Paul and sign up for a 19thCL package. 2 techs were out the next
> day and spent all day cleaning up our line. Our local energy coop is
> exploring getting into broadband. Especially after our latest 10-day
> outage. I hope they go for it. Anyone know of local energy coops in the
> broadband business? I've heard anecdotal evidence of some success.

When I first got broadband way back, I got DSL from Verizon (our telco used
to be GTE, who was then bought out/renamed to Verizon).  I had gotten
bumped up to 3mpbs, often as much as 4.5.  Then Verizon sold out to
Frontier Communications, and my speed immediately dropped to 1.5mbps.  I
called and asked why.  I was told that I was making that up, that there was
no possible way I could be getting 3mbps.  I said, no, I'm not lying to
you, I paid for 3, was getting 3, and I'm still paying for 3 but getting
1.5 on a good day.  I said that my house hadn't moved, and since the switch
was in a big brick building downtown, I was pretty sure that it hadn't
moved, either.

After months of going around and around, I finally got a supervisor who
admitted that when Frontier took over, there was a wholesale swap-out of
gear at the building in Valpo, and that while my speed was indeed less that
I had been getting, I should be back up to where I was, and possibly
faster, by the end of October (which was roughly 2 months away).   Oh - and
when I complained to a previous guy about the fact that they were still
billing me for 3 while delivering 1.5, he said I had the option to drop
down to the next lower tier, which was less money but only 1mbps.....

A year-and-a-half later, when my speed still hadn't increased, and nobody
would tell me anything else, I bit the bullet and told Frontier to kiss my
*ss and signed up for internet-only service with Comcrap.  I knew all of
the customer service issues with them, but in our area, we have two choices
for broadband.  A friend of mine had made the switch a year earlier, and
discovered that his speed had steadily increased over the year at the same
price he had been paying.  I liked that.  I've been at the 25mpbs down/5 up
level for a little over a year now, and it's been pretty solid.  I didn't
take the tv/phone/internet bundle - kept my landline service plus our cell
phones, and we are very happy with our DirecTV service.

But I just got tired of the crappy bandwidth and lies from Frontier, and
wasn't too thrilled with them accusing me of lying about my previous
bandwidth either.
--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie