Re: [OM] Advice on the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 11:12:07 -0400
My wife and I drove through there in mid-October 2011. Although the scenery is not as dramatic as, say, Bryce Canyon I would still consider it a very beautiful place and an essential part of seeing Colorado. I took 187 photos on that part of the trip including many panos that have never been processed yet. All were taken from near the main road. We did not descend into the canyon on any 179 degree roads.

That part of the trip began at Great Sands National Park. (A quick pass through there at mid-afternoon will not result in photos like Ken's). Then on to the Black Canyon and then the Silverton-Durango Railroad. I higly recommend the train ride. <http://www.durangosilvertonrailroad.com/durango-train/schedules-and-fares#TrainSchedule> Basic fare now is $85/person. We were concerned that it might be $170 poorly spent but we were wrong. It's a great full-day round trip (8:00-5:30) with a stop for lunch. You'll see some truly beautiful scenery.

We wish you a great trip. As I said earlier we went in mid-October and did see a bit of snow here and there at the higher elevations. But the roads were dry. The aspens are yellow at that time and make a beautiful contrast with the green pines. We visited many other parks and attractions on the way to California via Las Vegas. One interesting find was that Zion National Park has a north entrance which we didn't know about when there a few years earlier. The north entrance is much different scenery than the other entrance.

Chuck Norcutt