Re: [OM] OT - Phising phone calls

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Phising phone calls
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 10:40:35 -0500
> The desk phones where I'm working are VOIP, is that classified as a landline
> since it has a cable ?

It depends. I'm OK with calling it a "landline" phone because the
connectivity to the voice switch network is cable/twisted-pair/fiber
based. I'm a little leery about calling it a landline if it is based
on the Internet to connect, like Skype.

What is the difference between Voice over IP and Voice over Internet?
>From the perspective of the protocol, there is no difference. However,
it's the difference between running a 110 car rail train on private
rails and trying to stuff 800 semi trucks to haul the same quantity of
stuff in rush hour over city streets.

There is a lot of grousing on both sides of the issue over the subject
of "Net Neutrality". We're actually in a bad situation right now with
the everything getting tossed in the same bucket. We can (and do)
traffic shaping, but all that buys us is 9 months of growth. Some
companies, like Netflix, are very vocal about keeping things free and
open. But other companies recognize the truth of the matter and have
actually planned ahead for this and are ready to meet major providers
with dedicated physical connections. While Netflix might not like the
idea of setting up huge connections with individual providers, they
already are. And not only that, but performance increases are very
likely.

Example:

Facebook is building a new data center here in Flyover Iowa. They are
having to pay for connectivity to Chicago, Denver and every other
major NAP. My company has paid for and built connectivity to those
same NAPs. However, it would be a very simple thing for us to
establish our own NNI that would take all the Facebook traffic away
from the NAPs and move it over to a bigger, shorter and more efficient
connection. In our specific case, due to the way our network is
designed, we would experience at least a doubling, if not tripling of
the improvement in user experience. While Netflix will fight this
tooth and nail, a competitor will gladly embrace the new brave world
and clean Netflix' clock.

Whenever there are rule changes, the successful people/businesses
learn to embrace and exploit the new rules. Those who choose to fight
it become MBA program case studies.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx