[OM] Paul's PAW - Musical Brotherhood

Subject: [OM] Paul's PAW - Musical Brotherhood
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 13:35:51 -0500
This past Saturday evening was the kickoff concert for The Ides of March's
50th anniversary season.

The "Original Four" - Larry Millas, Bob Bergland, Mike Borch and Jim
Peterik have been playing together for 50 years (minus a little hiatus in
the 80's while Jim founded Survivor).  Jim, Bob and Larry have known each
other since kindergarten, while Bob and Larry were actually born a few days
apart, in the same hospital, and their mothers shared a room in the
maternity ward.  So, actually, their first performance together was crying
in the nursery.

Concert was at the House of Blues in Chicago.  I was one of two
photographers.  Other guy had a Nykon with the bazooka lens.  I had my
E-M5, Panny 20/1.7, OM MFT 12-50, and the OM 100/2.8.

Lighting was kinda odd - mostly just the colored stage lights.  For some
reason, the HOB seems to have a thing against using spotlights. It's hard
to get a good look when someone it bathed in nothing but red or blue or
green....  but I did my best.

They were also videoing the show for a DVD release later this year, and had
four camera guys wandering the stage with mostly Canyon DSLR's in HD video
mode (plus some GoPro cameras mounted on the drumkit and keyboard rig.)
So, since I knew I had unlimited access anyway, I took advantage of the
fact that the fans accepted camera guys on stage and managed to get some
closeup shots of the drummer and keyboard player, guys that tend to be left
out of photos since they're in the back and behind equipment rigs.

I've got some shots that would be awesome if the harsh, mono-colored lights
hadn't screwed with the autofocus.  But I'm pretty happy with the ones I
that did work, even without the monster lens.  Hopefully that 40-150/2.8
won't be priced at the stupid level when it comes out this fall, and I can
be the primary backup photographer when our main guy has to work.

The first 5 are from Saturday's gig.  Enjoy.  C&C always encouraged.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie