Re: [OM] Violins, lenses and cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Violins, lenses and cameras
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 10:27:18 -0500
> No, but when high-grade professional modern fiddles were tested by
> good pros against multi-million dollar collector's item Stradivarius, it
> was close but the new ones clearly won.

Not so much "clearly won". It matched the classics. Half the time the
musicians guessed correctly.

This really doesn't surprise me, though. Modern engineering and
material science allows manufacturers to build an instrument in such a
way to mimic a classic. Of course, another factor is that the old
classics are really all over the boards in quality and condition. It
is also a situation where the modern instrument isn't a school-starter
fiddle, but a very high-end unit that costs as much as a lease on the
old classic.

A further caution about the modern instrument is that you can make a
brand new unit that attains a sound that matches the classic, but what
will happen to the sound after this one ages a bit and has hundreds or
thousands of hours of playing time on it?

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx