Re: [OM] Violins, lenses and cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Violins, lenses and cameras
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 17:35:10 -0400
Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A number of my friends are symphony musicians. ....
>
> And I wished that the "your camera (or lens) doesn't matter" crowd were
> listening in. ...  Does anyone seriously believe that  a cheap
> school-orchestra fiddle should sound as good as a Stradivarius or Guarneri
> violin?  Yes, the best players might be able to make the bad fiddle sound
> reasonably good, but no way would it sound as good as the Strad.

No, but when high-grade professional modern fiddles were tested by
good pros against multi-million dollar collector's item Stradivarius, it
was close but the new ones clearly won.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/apr/08/violin-stradivarius-old-new-better-scientific-test

I suspect much the same would happen with cameras and lenses.

None of which is to claim that tools do not matter, that a really
good photographer cannot get interesting shots with a cell
phone, or that even a Leica S3 won't help much if you do
not know what you are doing.