[OM] A major issue with EP-5 largely corrected with EFC option via firmw

Subject: [OM] A major issue with EP-5 largely corrected with EFC option via firmware update
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 18:20:05 -0400 (EDT)
Fishy Foul Moose writes:

It's a pretty large, heavy camera, for a Pen. It's neither fish nor
fowl for this Moose. I'm very happy using LCD alone for casual use, but I want the trade-off of small and light.

When really in photog mode, I use and appreciate (E)VF for most
shots, and would go for that at least a little over size/weight. The published dimensions of the GX7 make is seem larger than the E-P5, but that's the rear protruding EVF and (nicely) larger front grip. >>From lens mount to back, they are the same size, height and width are essentially the same and the Panny is a tiny bit lighter. Put an add-on VF-x on it and price, size, weight and awkward factor all go way up. So I don't see where the E-P5 fits in.

I totally agree to a point.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#472,459

Looking at the side views the EP-5 is MUCH thinner but as you say the EVF has at some to do with that. (54.6mm vs 37.2). The EP-5 is still not very big as cams go and the 5 axis IBIS is a killer feature in my view. The add on EVF is excellent but rather bulky. I still consider the EP-5 mostly a svelte perch with optional chicken head attachment (but an excellent chicken head indeed) . Had the EFC been available, would have been sorely tempted. EP-5 does not apparently recognize the CA corrections metadata for the lenses like the EM-1 but DXO optics pro could be used if that were a real problem for some shots/lenses. Now that the minnow GM-1 is in the net, not sure if should feel regret or or not. I will miss an EVF for sure.

No chicken headed perch at this time, Mike