Re: [OM] What E-system lens is indispensable for a micro 4/3 shooter?

Subject: Re: [OM] What E-system lens is indispensable for a micro 4/3 shooter?
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:01:39 -0500
On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Walters, Martin <
Martin.Walters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chuck:
> There has been quite a lot of discussion about the EM-1's ability to
> quickly focus 4/3 lenses with its on-sensor phase detect.  There are a
> number of posts on both the following:
> http://www.mu-43.com/forum.php  and http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/.  You
> might want to go through some of them.
>
> From what I have seen the results are variable and native m4/3 lenses
> still focus faster and more reliably.  Probably the 4/3 lens of most
> interest is the 50-200 +/- the 1.4 TC. This lens fills a missing niche in
> the m4/3 line up, is quite fast and has very good IQ, even with the TC.
> It's also relatively cheap used ($500 or so for the non-SWD versions).  The
> other lenses that are discussed most often are the 12-60 and the 14-54,
> which seem to have been popular choices for 4/3 users at the time.
>
> In terms of going wide, one potentially easy option is to stitch together
> a couple of shots to get the extra width (digital, rather than film,
> thinking).  While this may not always work, if you're using a tripod or
> simply taking your time composing the shot, it seems like a cost effective
> approach.
>
> My widest Oly m4/3 lens is the 12-50mm.  It's not quite the 21mm I liked
> using on the OMs, but it does.  Because of a recent sale, I've just bought
> a 7.5mm FE (Bower) so I do have an even wider option now.  Although MF, it
> seems to have excellent optics.

I had thought the reason one might use E-system lenses on a E-M1 is simply
that one already had them, not that one would go out and get any, but your
remarks on the 50-200 are very interesting.  The lens almost overwhelms any
body that it is attached to, but that rarely matters, especially if one is
using the tripod mount on the lens, which also allows one to shift quickly
to verticals.  If I were looking to buy one, I'd try for the SWD version.
My oldie is brisk enough for what I do most of the time, but I can imagine
appreciating a bit more responsiveness.  I'm not sure the 1.4 TC slows it
down much, but it doesn't help.  With the TC one is almost always at the
long end by definition, where all the challenges lie.

Not that I've looked much recently, but I am a little skeptical that there
are a whole lot of bargains to be had among E-system lenses.  The 50-200
SWDs always seem to be priced high enough that I can't see replacing my old
version.   If I already had Chuck's lenses, I would sit tight.   Amongst
what I have, I would expect to see if I could live with my Pana L 14-150
for walkabout, otherwise get the same thing in m43.  I enjoy the 50/2
macro, but if lacked something in that area, I'd probably rather have the
m43 Oly 60/2.8.

The E-M1 would get me 4 more mega pretzels, a bit more ISO, a little less
noise, a little better IS, a smaller body, and the temptation to buy a
whole bunch of new lenses that duplicate the things I already have working
with the E-5.  It seems crazy to want one (but of course I do).

[I am] Joel [and I'm a Zuikoholic] W.