Re: [OM] OM Shutter Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Shutter Questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 09:11:16 -0400
Yes, I agree. I'm was forgetting that the first curtain is still available for exposure measurement even as it's opening.

Chuck Norcutt

On 5/14/2014 11:11 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
No, we are describing the same thing. Sensor reads first curtain and the
camera holds back the second curtain until sufficient exposure is achieved.
If the brightness level is high enough, this point is achieved before very
much film is exposed by the first curtain. If the brightness level is low,
more and more film is exposed to the sensor before the second curtain is
released. So, the OTF metering uses the curtain as an augment to get things
moving, but dynamically moves into more and more film as the exposure is
extended.

As previously mentioned, that was an issue with the first generation OM-2
because the curtain was more center weighted than the film itself and as a
result the metering pattern changed from center weighted to averaging as
the exposure got longer.

OTF flash control varies a little bit from model to model. The first
generation OM-2 would trigger the flash even if the sync speed got too
high. The OM-2S won't fire the flash if the ambient exposure is too high
and the image would overexpose. I think the OM-4T will fire the flash even
if the exposure is too high at 1/60. The OM-3Ti is free form and lets you
do anything.

AG

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>