[OM] IMGs: Cycling Route - Part 2

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Cycling Route - Part 2
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 09:46:16 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     It's pretty windy today, so I have plenty of time to follow up with the
photos of my one cycling route.

     Aout 3 1/2 miles south of home the city is bisected by the Western Canal,
which used to deliver irrigation water to endless citrus orchards before the
area was turned into a bedroom community.  The street I go south on comes to an
end, and a short, nicely landscaped path:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13932682619/

provides access to the canalside cycling and jogging paths, plus a footbridge
to continue to the other side:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13932682629/

     The upright post lights up in blue at night, which is a nice artistic
feature.  Most of the path is straight as an arrow, which provides an smooth,
unobstructed run for testing a bike at speed without the worry of someone
pulling out in front of you.  There are two lighted crossings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13932682789/

though you have to be careful using these.  I once crossed this one and
immediately heard a thud and screech of tyres behind me.  A young idiot
motorist didn't see the red light, the stopped vehicles, or the cyclist right
behind me, and didn't even slow down.  The cyclist was slightly injured and his
spotless 1982 Lotus was damaged but repairable.  He had bought it new in 1982,
and myself and another fellow had to hold him back lest he beat the daylights
out of the motorist.

     A half mile later the path comes to one of a number of footbridges that
provide passage to either side.  Here, the paved portion goes from the north
side to the south:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13932682799/

and a mile later after bisecting a golf course comes to a tee intersection with
a very attractive curved truss bridge to the right and a peak load generation
station to the west togher with a major switch and distribution yard:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13932682889/

     The path in either direction passes along the western boundary of the golf
course, and there are extensive overhanging cages that prevent cyclists and
joggers from being zonked with the occasional stray golf ball:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13932683009/

Chris the Moto(bécane)maniac