Re: [OM] Cinco de Mayo

Subject: Re: [OM] Cinco de Mayo
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 20:42:21 +1000
Originally 'of or coming from the north' - the sub-arctic application is much
more modern, abstracted from the classical. So neologistic rather than
technical.
Your flyover country appears to be a concept excluding all the boring bits and
people in the vast spaces between the interesting bits - the coasts. It seems
far more interesting than our vast emptinesses (Iowa notwithstanding?). We
cling on to the coasts desperately, a partly urban fringe. The rest of it,
'beyond the black stump', is a rather scary place, inhabited by the mad and the
dead.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com