Re: [OM] Cinco de Mayo

Subject: Re: [OM] Cinco de Mayo
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 10:33:22 -0500
> Is summer nitrogen better than winter nitrogen in one's tires?

Less shrinkage with winter nitrogen.

Less expansion with summer nitrogen.

Back in my active biking days, I should have run nitrogen in my
ultra-skinny tires. Heavy braking on mountain roads heats up the rims
and tires a lot. My front tire was already at 160 pounds cold.
Experienced one blowout right near the end of the Roan Mountain loop
road. I was doing about 50 mph when the front tire failed.
Fortunately, I wasn't in a curve at the time, but was starting to slow
for the final right hander at the exit. The rim was too hot to touch.
This was one problem with the carbon-fiber spokes, as they didn't
heat-sink away enough heat from the rims like steel spokes do.
Fortunately, the tire didn't separate from the rim, as those beads
were so stinkin tight you couldn't replace a tube half the time.

I walked the bike back to the truck (parked on the entrance road),
swapped out bikes and road it again. The mountain bike handled it a
little better.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx