Re: [OM] Photographs from Dead Centre

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographs from Dead Centre
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 02:11:41 +1200

Chris Barker wrote;

Thanks for those lovely scenes, Brian. They
evoke clear wintry and sunlit memories.

I have a couple of suggestions
for your compositions:

In the first shot, 1622, the scene is
half-empty, half-occupied; the space to the right is bare, whereas the
left-hand edge has parts of the graves left out. It?s as if you didn?t
really know what to capture. I suggest that you make the bare space
dominant, or the graves area, but not half and half.

In the last shot,
1643, you have almost the same sort of composition: there?s a grave in
the middle, a part grave on the left and a lonely and rather
uninteresting small tree sitting solitarily in the right-hand half. I
should be tempted to lose the mausoleum on the left, make the middle
grave dominant, but put it in the bottom left third of the picture,
allowing the shot scene to wander away into the distance up the hillside
a little. I have taken the liberty of copying your shot and cropping it
in 2 ways:

[1]

Chris

Thanks
Chris; re the first one, I wanted to capture the misty frosty emptiness
of that part of the cemetery as it was when I arrived. The fact that it
was all "öut-of-focus" when it really wasn't. Rules are made to be
broken !!

Re the second one, that you cropped. Yes, I like your crop.
Maybe I was in too much of a hurry when I was deciding on which images
to post. But anyway, I didn't see it quite like that. I was also
battling the movement of the sun and trying to keep direct sunlight off
the lens. "Ät the edge" the sun's movement can be quite fast ...
What
really drew me back there at this time this week was to try and capture
the richness of the colour of the fallen leaves of the Horse Chestnut
tree which fugures in a few of the shots. Frosts have just begun, but
even after 2 days the colour of the fallen leaves is not as
vivid..
Maybe it was partly the angle of the shots I tried, in relation
to where the sun was then. I know I was unable to capture the best of
the colour within the confines of a satisfactory composition.
Trade
secret ... the saturation slider in Fast Stone is a wonderful tool, when
used in moderation. Helped me achieve what I envisaged, but which was
not helped by the sun angle.
Brian

Links:
------